Oligospermia is a health problem associated with a small quantity of spermatozoa in the male semen. This disorder is characterized by a reduced concentration of spermatozoa, which can affect the reproductive ability of man.
Low levels of sperm count occur when the concentration of spermatozoa per milliliter is less than 15 million (the minimum number, located in the healthy norm is 20 million spermatozoa per millimeter).
Oligospermia is a disorder that hinders fertilization in natural conditions a result of lowering quantities of spermatozoa, which is far below the standard. The disease is considered, therefore, as a problem with fertility.
There are various types of oligospermia, depending on the number of spermatozoa. Can distinguish the type of disease: severe, moderate and mild. Important it is, however, that despite a significantly reduced sperm count in the male sperm, they are not completely unable to fertilize egg cells and to get pregnant, but this is a considerable difficulty. A more severe disorder than oligospermia is azoospermia (complete absence of spermatozoa).
The causes of oligospermia
- disturbances associated with the formation of sperm in an indirect way – for example could be here disturbances hormone secreted by the pituitary gland, as well as poor eating habits, smoking, drinking alcohol, or other disturbances in the functioning of the body;
- diseases associated with nuclei – cryptorchidism, hydrocele, genital injuries, varicose veins, and some genetic alterations, such as Y chromosome microdeletions;
- The causes outside the testicles – that occur even with the proper functioning of nuclei, affecting the healthy ejaculation; there can be mentioned blockage of the vas deferens, urethritis and the like.
Oligospermia may be permanent and incurable disorder when:
- is linked to genetic problems;
- there was atrophy of seminiferous tubules;
- the appearance of affecting the semen types of chronic diseases.
Reversible cases are those in which the cause is hormonal imbalance, excessive stress, the occurrence of high fever or inflammation of the nuclei area. When they are properly treated, semen can return to the standard after a few months.
Diagnosis and treatment of oligospermia
Oligospermia is a condition causing low sperm counts in semen, which does not exhibit any additional symptoms that may help the diagnosis. Men suffering from a disorder the number of spermatozoa, often are not aware of the problem until they begin to strive for the child. Long time unsuccessful attempts to achieve pregnancy leads them to a specialist, who often diagnosed oligospermia.
To assess the male fertility, it is necessary to perform comprehensive blood tests – which will test the basic levels of hormones, and the execution of seminogram.
The use of appropriate treatment is crucial. However, it is also dependent from causes oligospermia, whose etiology is not entirely understood. Unfortunately, no single reliable method allows you to increase sperm count. However, often helps supplementation of vitamins, hormonal therapy or natural remedies.